Monday, September 27, 2010

Give blood. Give Life.



dear beloved blog, long time no see. I apologize for not having much time to spend here. well that's definitely because I'm currently effing busy, despite of my only-God-knows laziness. I require forgiveness from you. okay, bye.


well referring to the title, I actually just finished preparing my speech text for my Public Speaking class on coming Thursday. and I'm happy to say that I just found out that it's the only class I anticipate every week. there will be Persuasive speech next week and I'm doing "Why Should We Become Blood Donors"

there's actually something funny about how I decided to do this topic. I spent my whole weekend watching True Blood so basically I was influenced by seeing bloods being wasted to such lustful and desperate yet handsome vampires.

so here's my speech:


Do you know if there is any other way to save people’s lives rather than donating your money? Yes there is.

Do you know how much blood does it take to save a life?

Do you know who actually needs blood?

I spent my last weekend watching True Blood so the first thing came up in my mind is vampire but in real life, approximately every minute of every day, someone in this world needs blood. In fact, according to a recent poll, 60 percent of Malaysians say that they, or a family member, have needed blood for surgery or medical treatment.

Why Should We Become Blood Donors?

And why should you listen to me? Because I’ve been a donor since 2 years ago thus I know how vital it is to some people. And I’ve heard of loads of irrational reasons people don’t give blood such as they’re afraid of needles or even afraid of getting AIDS so I’d like to point out some reasons on why we should donate blood which are much more logical than those reasons I mentioned earlier.

To begin the list, let’s first look at the number one reason that people give for why they do not think that they should become a blood donor: they think it will hurt. I admit that it does hurt but it’s actually bad, bad enough to justify a decision to not become a blood donor and lose a chance to save hundreds of lives. It only hurts a little and for God’s sake the pain will fade in a short time. So my first reason on why should we donate blood is that it saves lives. Hundreds of lives. And like I mentioned earlier, every minute of every day, someone in this world needs blood. To be specific, according to America’s Blood Centers, more than 200 units of blood are needed every week for like cancer treatment, surgeries, organ transplants, etc. You don’t have to be a doctor to save lives. give blood, give life.

Secondly, we should become blood donors because we may need it some day. In this sense, we are just giving back early what we, or our family member or friends may need later. Many blood donors, including me, realize what a wonderful gift they have given only after they or someone they love are in need of blood donation. So when you are hesitating to donate your blood, imagine yourself being in the shoes of those who need blood.

Next, we should become blood donors because it’s easy and safe. Most healthy people can donate blood- men up to five times a year and woman two times. The procedure is not that painful that an adult can not bear. Even if you feel a bit tired after donating, you will recover within an hour or two with some rest. And yea, you don’t have to worry about getting infections because blood banks use disposable needles and syringes.

Basically, these are three main reasons. Another reasons are like blood donating helps you to lose weight. It’s because every time you give blood, you burn up to 650 calories (the amount of energy it takes for your body to replace a pint of blood).

Not only that, if you are a blood donor, you’d find out whether you have healthy iron levels or not thru a small sample tested before every blood donation. Low iron levels can cause fatigue and dizziness.

You should also become a blood donor so that you can feel good about doing something altruistic. I can still remember my very first time donating blood. I was scared to death, well who’s on earth doesn’t feel scared for having a quite-thick needle in their arms. But since I kept telling myself that this is one of the contributions I can give to the society, the pain didn’t matter at all. Donating blood always make me feel good about myself because only good people donate blood right?

There are also minor reasons for why should we become blood donors such like we can get free cookies (they normally serve blood donors with free food and drinks to get rid of their tiredness), free stuffs like key chain and even certificates. There’s also some privileges provided for blood donors. For instance, for those who have donated blood for like 2 to 5 times may have a free medical check up.

In a conclusion, as we are living in such a symbiotic life, each one us is responsible to help others in need. So just donate blood. It’s safe, it’s simple and most importantly, it saves lives.



P/S: points are not originally by me.


No comments: